Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Halfway There

I had my sixth and final intrathecal chemotherapy treatment today.  This was the last piece of the fourth round of treatment for me, which means I am now officially halfway there!
So far the lumbar puncture treatments have been the most intense in terms of side effects, so I'm extremely happy to have had the last one.  I'll need to ride out the next week or so of feeling less than hot due to the chemo and my low blood counts.  But man do I feel good to be done with those.

I'll have four more rounds of the IV chemo I've been getting every three weeks.  So four more week long stays in the hospital, and four more sessions of recovering.  And then I'm done with chemotherapy and on to the maintenance period and I can get back to "normal" life.  I'm over the hump.

I still recoil sometimes when I look in the mirror at my pale bald face.  It just doesn't look quite like me. But I'm in there (if I focus on my eyes I can see me).  I haven't gone anywhere.  I'm still fighting and I'm still Chris.  A survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment