Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Back To Work

Today was my first day back to work, and it was a wonderful way to start the new year.  This year feels like a fresh start in a lot of ways.  I have this sensation of being a new person; of new opportunities to experience life in ways I hadn't before.  It's always easy to look back and second guess oneself.  And it's not that I'm doing that exactly.  It's more that I'm happy that I'm not the person I was before, and that I am happy that I am the person I am now.  Chances to go through that kind of transformation don't come along very often.  So again, I'm grateful that all of this has happened and that I have been able to recreate my life from the wreckage.

Life goals that have come out of this experience:
- Be physically active (I need to repair my body!)
- Give to others (so much has been given to me, I want to give back)
- Take time to appreciate it all (a general reminder to myself to take a step back, perspective is everything)

It doesn't have to be complicated.  There are so many ways to enjoy life, and to be engaged in living it.  I will always come back to the feeling I had when I came out of surgery, which is:  if you're worried about it, it's a waste of time/energy.  I'm not sure why it was phrased that way in my mind, but that was the thought that I couldn't get away from.  It was like no problems existed, they had all been wiped away by the severity of my situation.  And I realized that some things are important, but nothing is worth being upset over.  Life is a gift.  It was a feeling of relief and of a kind of elation, which may sound odd.  That's just how I felt at the time.

The experimentation with my maintenance meds is going well.  I've moved to a smaller dose of one of the main medications that I take each week, which hopefully will be a level that I can withstand over the long term.  I will still have monthly shots, which are a little rough, but that just lasts a day or two.  I feel good about it, since it seems that I will be able to handle it without too many disabling side effects.

It's hard to believe that I've come this far when I think back to the most difficult moments during chemotherapy.  For that matter, it's hard to believe that any of it happened at all.  In a way it feels like no time at all has passed.  Sitting at my desk today and seeing everyone again was so nice.  It felt like coming home.  That says a lot about the people I work with; a wonderful group of folks.

So here's to a new year, and to embracing what life throws at us.  I am so happy to be productive again.  My time recovering was wonderful.  But let's get on with things shall we?  Happy new year to you all.

Love,
Chris

3 comments:

  1. Great to see you back, Chris! I have just the most sincere, deep respect for you. I admit that I didn't really know you before all this, but now I feel like I know a lot about you, your strength, your character, and this great way in which you see work now as something to look forward to. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kyra. I'm so glad I was able to share some of what I went through, and that you took the time to follow along. It really means a lot to me! So glad to be back at work :)

      Delete
  2. All the very best to you Chris in 2013. You certainly deserve it after all the hard work you put in last year. Your description of your journey and how you have dealt with it has been a true inspiration to us all.

    Journey on!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete